exchange crashed. Sync back from OST files?
Handle
2007-12-06 17:06:21 UTC
Our exchange 2003 crashed. The last working backup is from a month ago.

However we have been lucky that our Outlook 2003 clients are running with
OST offline files, thus having an up to date copy of the mailboxes.

Is that a way to syncronize BACK the mails from OST files to exchange?

/Handle
Oliver Moazzezi [MVP]
2007-12-06 17:26:21 UTC
Get an OST to PST converter. if you're sticking with your blank stores and
not restoring from your backup and transaction logs.

Oliver
Handle
2007-12-06 18:04:12 UTC
Hi Oliver
Post by Oliver Moazzezi [MVP]
Get an OST to PST converter.
Ok... what for? I want still to run with exchange mailboxes.
Post by Oliver Moazzezi [MVP]
if you're sticking with your blank stores and not restoring from your
backup and transaction logs.
I donŽt understand - can you be more explicit?

tia,

/Handle
Oliver Moazzezi [MVP]
2007-12-06 18:47:00 UTC
Hi,

I am presuming you're not going to restore your Exchange database, even
though that is the best practice scenario when dealing with a situation like
this.

From what you said (syncing OST back to Exchange store) I assumed you had
mounted a new clean store, and was trying to get the OST data back.

This of course is not possible. You only course of action if you wanted to
pursue this would be to convert your OST files into PSTs. You could then
import these PSTs into Outlook and it would indeed put this mail back into
the Exchange database.

May I ask why you don't restore from backup? Even if your backup is a month
old, you will have Transaction Logs available (presuming you don't have
circular logging enabled) to be able to roll up to the point of failure?

Oliver
v***@gmail.com
2007-12-07 00:16:13 UTC
On Dec 7, 5:47 am, "Oliver Moazzezi [MVP]"
Post by Oliver Moazzezi [MVP]
Hi,
I am presuming you're not going to restore your Exchange database, even
though that is the best practice scenario when dealing with a situation like
this.
From what you said (syncing OST back to Exchange store) I assumed you had
mounted a new clean store, and was trying to get the OST data back.
This of course is not possible. You only course of action if you wanted to
pursue this would be to convert your OST files into PSTs. You could then
import these PSTs into Outlook and it would indeed put this mail back into
the Exchange database.
May I ask why you don't restore from backup? Even if your backup is a month
old, you will have Transaction Logs available (presuming you don't have
circular logging enabled) to be able to roll up to the point of failure?
Oliver
You're assuming this wasn't a complete hardware failure, in which case
no transaction logs.

In a small enough environment, and if you can be sure EVERYONE has an
up to date cached OST thats it's not too critical. I wouldn't
recommend it for like 100 people, or something :)

But yeah, convert the OST to PST, reconnect to the new exchange and
have an empty inbox, mount/connect to the PST file, and drag/drop to
the inbox, viola, all back on the server .. You'll lose a few things
tho, a lot of more advanced things, such as server rules, a lot of
calendar functionality, so its worth rechecking everyones calendars
once done, especially events with multiple attendees, and recurrence,
etc. Also labels/colour coding i think is one of the things you'll
lose. If people rely on OLD calendar data, like, want to be able ot
look back to events scheudled 6 months ago, it might still be a good
idea to restore the 1 month old back, convert the OST -> PST, then
manually sync whats new only, that way all exchange functionality for
everything 1 month or older is maintained
Oliver Moazzezi [MVP]
2007-12-07 01:32:24 UTC
Post by v***@gmail.com
You're assuming this wasn't a complete hardware failure, in which case
no transaction logs.
I come from the school where Tran Logs, Databases and the System OS are all
on seperate physical disks. Nothing should be unrecoverable.

Oliver
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
2007-12-09 15:56:00 UTC
Post by Oliver Moazzezi [MVP]
Post by v***@gmail.com
You're assuming this wasn't a complete hardware failure, in which
case no transaction logs.
I come from the school where Tran Logs, Databases and the System OS
are all on seperate physical disks. Nothing should be unrecoverable.
Oliver
Yes, in a perfect world that would be nice. But in a smaller office (which
is what I presume we're talking about here) that often isn't economically
feasible. Of course, nightly full backups are a must regardless.
Jim Chou
2010-10-30 05:00:40 UTC
<quote>

Our exchange 2003 crashed. The last working backup is from a month ago.

However we have been lucky that our Outlook 2003 clients are running with
OST offline files, thus having an up to date copy of the mailboxes.

Is that a way to syncronize BACK the mails from OST files to exchange?
</quote>

Hi Handle,

My suggestion is, use your backup. And for up to date Ost, use a 3rd party to convert into Pst.
There is a popular utility to do this job:
Advanced Exchange Recovery

at

http://www.datanumen.com/aexr/

Jim
Post by Handle
Our exchange 2003 crashed. The last working backup is from a month ago.
However we have been lucky that our Outlook 2003 clients are running with
OST offline files, thus having an up to date copy of the mailboxes.
Is that a way to syncronize BACK the mails from OST files to exchange?
/Handle
Get an OST to PST converter. if you are sticking with your blank stores and
not restoring from your backup and transaction logs.
Oliver
Post by Handle
Hi Oliver
Ok... what for? I want still to run with exchange mailboxes.
I don?t understand - can you be more explicit?
tia,
/Handle
Post by Oliver Moazzezi [MVP]
Hi,
I am presuming you're not going to restore your Exchange database, even
though that is the best practice scenario when dealing with a situation like
this.
From what you said (syncing OST back to Exchange store) I assumed you had
Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
Yes, in a perfect world that would be nice. But in a smaller office (which
is what I presume we're talking about here) that often isn't economically
feasible. Of course, nightly full backups are a must regardless.
Using the ASP.NET CustomValidator Control
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/e622d48f-2787-4906-b97f-1ef8037a688f/using-the-aspnet-customvalidator-control.aspx
Bob Maria
2012-06-11 04:35:08 UTC
Another solution Lepide Exchange Manager provides management facility to repair corrupt Exchange database and restore mailboxed from backup. http://www.exchangedatabaserecovery.co.uk
s***@gmail.com
2012-06-12 05:54:36 UTC
The MS Exchange server maintains and stores the mailbox of the users which contains the important information. If due to any reason, the Exchange server gets corrupt or crashes then in that situation all the data of all the users will be lost. In order to successfully recover all the lost data from exchange server a third party software of exchange server recovery can be used. For more info visit: http://www.restoreexchange.com/
a***@gmail.com
2014-09-19 05:12:38 UTC
Yes we suggest you can convert OST file to PST format with Unistal
OST Converter software which can provides fully secure way to
conversion OST file data to PST format : http://www.ost-to-pst.info/