Exchange Server 2003, service account, errors 1068 and 1079
David Christensen
2004-04-16 23:41:28 UTC
microsoft.public.exchange.admin:

I am working my way through [1] and have created a service account for
Exchange per pp. 2-8 through 2-9 and have changed the logon account for
the various Microsoft Exchange services per p. 3-9. When I tried to
restart the Microsoft Exchange System Attendant service per [1], it
failed. I fumbled around a bit, and eventually stopped all
Exchange-related services so I could start the "automatic" ones
individually and see what was going on:

1. Microsoft Exchange Information Store service -- fails:

Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start

It depends upon on EXIFS and Microsoft Exchange System Attendant.

2. Microsoft Exchange Management -- okay.

3. Microsoft Exchange MTA Stacks -- fails:

Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start

It depends upon on Microsoft Exchange System Attendant.

4. When I try to start the Microsoft Exchange Routing Engine service,
it fails with:

Error 1079: The account specified for this service is different
from the account specified for other services running in the
same process.

5. Microsoft Exchange System Attendant -- fails:

The Microsoft Exchange System Attendant service on Local
Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop
automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the
Performance Logs and Alerts service.

RTFM and STFW turned up no direct hits. One page for error 1079 on
another server recommended changing the service "Log On" account to
"Local System", but the whole point of the exercise in [1] is to get
Exchange running on a dedicated account to control permissions and to
segregate log messages.

Any suggestions?

TIA,

David

[1] Will Willis and Ian McLean, 2004, "MCSA/MCSE Exam 70-284
Implementing and Managing Microsoft Exchange Server 2003",
Microsoft Press, ISBN 0-7356-1899-2.
Kirill S. Palagin
2004-04-17 12:33:59 UTC
Exchange 200? should logon as LocalSystem
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;239762&Product=exch2003
What is your specific problem?
jays
2013-06-08 17:01:16 UTC
David Christensen wrote on 04/16/2004 19:41 ET
Post by David Christensen
[...]
segregate log messages
Any suggestions
TIA