User name change due to Marriage
John
2008-10-09 15:25:01 UTC
This is a quick list of the steps to change the name of a user due to
marriage. All user login is the same as email address. Can anyone look over
the steps and get me feed back on this procedure. TIA

Update Employee Name Due to Marriage in Active Directory and Exchange
Employee Amy Smith has recently married and needs to change her last name.
1. Open Active Directory Users and Computers
2. Navigate to the Employees Organizational Unit (OU)
3. Right-click on the name of the employee for the name change and select
rename
4. Rename the employee
5. Rename User dialog box appears
a. Full Name should be correct
b. First Name should be correct
c. Last Name should be changed to the new Last Name
d. Display Name will changed in the above step
e. User Logon Name should be changed to the new Last Name
f. User Logon name (pre-Windows 2000) will be changed in the above step
6. Open Exchange Management Console
7. Under Recipient Configuration click on Mailbox to view all user mailboxes
8. Right click the employee name and select Properties
9. In the General Tab
a. Change the Alias to match username changed in Active Directory Users and
Computers
b. Click Apply button
10. In the E-Mail Addresses Tab
a. SMTP address with the new name should be bold
b. Highlight the old address, right click and select remove
c. Click Apply Button, then OK
11. Update the Offline Address Book, navigate to Organization Configuration
and select Mailbox
12. Select the Offline Address Book Tab
13. Right click on the Default Offline Address Book select Update
14. Click Yes in the dialog box
Susan
2008-10-09 15:33:52 UTC
I don't ever remove the old smtp address...i simply create a new one that
reflects the new name, and set it as primary...that way, all the new email
will go out with the new email address as the "reply" address, but she can
still receive email addressed to either address...
--
Susan Conkey [MVP]
John

Rich Matheisen [MVP]
2008-10-09 16:23:06 UTC
On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 08:53:02 -0700, John
Post by John
Besides leaving the old smtp address in, the overall procedure will work?
There is no other steps that I need to take?
That would depend on how much integration you have with other
applications that use email to communicate. By following that
procedure you just made the person invisible unless the apps use only
a SMTP address or the legacyExchangeDN property value (or the object
GUID) to locate things in the GAL or the AD.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
d***@gmail.com
2012-07-23 16:42:24 UTC
Hi Susan,

I'm about to change someone's name in AD and Exchange 2008. At my company we use the firstname.lastname as the user name for our users. Thus, i have to change the email address to use the new last name. If i leave the old SMTP address will the user still receive emails to both addresses?

lgarcia@integrusarch.com