Can't create new Autodiscover virtual directory..
jim
2007-05-10 19:14:47 UTC
I was able to remove the autodiscover virtual directory using the
Remove-AutodiscoverVirtualDirectory cmdlet. When i tried to create a new
one however, the cmdlet hung for about a minute, and then i got the error
message below..

*START*
New-AutoDiscoverVirtualDirectory -websitename "Default Web
Site" -WindowsAuthentication $true -DigestAuthentication $true

New-AutodiscoverVirtualDirectory : An error occurred while creating the IIS
virtual directory 'IIS://ServerName.MyCompany.com/W3SVC/1/ROOT/Autodiscover'
on 'ServerName'.

At line:1 char:33

+ New-AutoDiscoverVirtualDirectory <<<< -websitename "Default Web
Site" -WindowsAuthentication $true -DigestAuthentication $true
*END*

After the error came up, i also noticed that the W3Svc had stopped and the
default web site wasn't started. I was able to start them again, however
there was no Autodiscover virtual directory.

I'm copying the code directly from the latest Ex2k7 help file.
jim
2007-05-10 19:30:25 UTC
Never mind. Turns out the W3Svc needs to be stopped before you run the
cmdlet. It tries to stop it as part of the process, but apparently it was
timing out before the service was shutdown cleanly, thus the error message.
I manually stopped W3 then went back to Powershell and voila!
t***@gmail.com
2014-02-24 20:38:19 UTC
I know this is old by ++1 on saving my bacon on this one. The service does need to be stopped for this to run properly.