VSS application writer or the VSS provider is in a bad state
Tarun Verma
2008-08-26 09:26:09 UTC
We are running Exchange 2007 with MS DPM 2007, I suddenly received an alert
saying "Creation of recovery points for StorageGroup02 on xxx.xxx.com server
have failed. The last recovery point creation failed for the following
reason: (ID: 3159)The VSS application writer or the VSS provider is in a bad
state. Either it was already in a bad state or it entered a bad state during
the current operation. (ID: 30111)DPM ID: 2
If anybody has any idea please share it.
Wayne Hollomby

Jamestechman
2008-08-26 10:10:47 UTC
Type VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS in a command prompt your Exchange writer
might be in a failed state resembling below; if so restarting the IS
store or reboot. If this is systemic you will need to investigate root
cause.

Writer name: 'Microsoft Exchange Writer'
Writer Id: {76fe1ac4-15f7-4bcd-987e-8e1acb462fb7}

Writer Instance Id: {ca6d7443-8a82-4081-8529-6a5ddad23895}
State: [8] Failed
Last error: Retryable error

Event ID 9840 or 9607 is logged when a VSS backup operation fails in
Exchange 2007 or in Exchange 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930800/

James Chong (MVP)
MCITP | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+,
Security+, Project+, ITIL
msexchangetips.blogspot.com
Tarun Verma
2008-08-26 14:16:01 UTC
since backup happens very frequently with interval of 15 mins via MS DPM on
exchange server ... and we discovered this failure just once so it means
currently there is no issue backup is running perfectly but my intention is
to find the cause of this event.
Jamestechman
2008-08-26 15:12:45 UTC
Are there any indications of backups being aborted in the event logs?

James Chong (MVP)
MCITP | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+,
Security+, Project+, ITIL
msexchangetips.blogspot.com

On Aug 26, 10:16 am, Tarun Verma
Post by Tarun Verma
We are running Exchange 2007 with MS DPM 2007, I suddenly received an alert
saying "Creation of recovery points for StorageGroup02 on xxx.xxx.com server
have failed. The last recovery point creation failed for the following
reason: (ID: 3159)The VSS application writer or the VSS provider is in a bad
state. Either it was already in a bad state or it entered a bad state during
the current operation. (ID: 30111)DPM ID: 2
If anybody has any idea please share it.- Hide quoted text -
v***@gmail.com
2013-03-31 09:11:23 UTC
The VSS application writer or the VSS provider is in a bad state. Either it was already in a bad state or it entered a bad state during the current operation

I am facing this issue while performing hyper-V backup VIA dpm2012