Is it safe to move the Exchange service account's mailbox to another server?
Alan
2009-01-16 11:05:12 UTC
Hello,

I'm decommissioning our first/only E2K server and the last mailbox to
move to E2K3 belongs to the Exchange service account.

Paranoid question: is it safe to move that mailbox to another server?

AFAIK we only used the mailbox to install the Outlook Security
Settings public folder. We moved it from Ex5.5 to E2K years ago.

Thanks,

- Alan.
Andy David {MVP}
2009-01-16 13:54:05 UTC
Post by Alan
Hello,
I'm decommissioning our first/only E2K server and the last mailbox to
move to E2K3 belongs to the Exchange service account.
Paranoid question: is it safe to move that mailbox to another server?
AFAIK we only used the mailbox to install the Outlook Security
Settings public folder. We moved it from Ex5.5 to E2K years ago.
THere is no Exchange Service account in Exchange 200x. So if this some
mailbox from the 5.5 days, you can move it.
Post by Alan
Thanks,
- Alan.
Alan
2009-01-16 14:32:30 UTC
Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, badly worded on my part. During the E2K setup, I specified the
account that I'm talking about as the Exchange Administrator and I
mailbox-enabled it some time later. The Exchange services run under
that account on all our Exchange 2000 and 2003 servers.

I'm guessing that the fact that the account is mailbox-enabled or
moving the mailbox to another server would have no impact on Exchange?

On Jan 16, 2:54 pm, Andy David {MVP}
Post by Andy David {MVP}
Post by Alan
Hello,
I'm decommissioning our first/only E2K server and the last mailbox to
move to E2K3 belongs to the Exchange service account.
Paranoid question: is it safe to move that mailbox to another server?
AFAIK we only used the mailbox to install the Outlook Security
Settings public folder. We moved it from Ex5.5 to E2K years ago.
THere is no Exchange Service account in Exchange 200x. So if this some
mailbox from the 5.5 days, you can move it.
Post by Alan
Thanks,
- Alan.
Andy David {MVP}
2009-01-16 14:38:56 UTC
Post by Alan
Thanks for the reply.
Sorry, badly worded on my part. During the E2K setup, I specified the
account that I'm talking about as the Exchange Administrator and I
mailbox-enabled it some time later. The Exchange services run under
that account on all our Exchange 2000 and 2003 servers.
They do? I hope not. Exchange Services in Exch 200x should be running
under the Local System account. That is the default setting.
Post by Alan
I'm guessing that the fact that the account is mailbox-enabled or
moving the mailbox to another server would have no impact on Exchange?
Yes, you can move it. The only accounts you cant move are the system
accounts ( System Attendant etc..).
Post by Andy David {MVP}
Post by Alan
Hello,
I'm decommissioning our first/only E2K server and the last mailbox to
move to E2K3 belongs to the Exchange service account.
Paranoid question: is it safe to move that mailbox to another server?
AFAIK we only used the mailbox to install the Outlook Security
Settings public folder. We moved it from Ex5.5 to E2K years ago.
THere is no Exchange Service account in Exchange 200x. So if this some
mailbox from the 5.5 days, you can move it.
Post by Alan
Thanks,
- Alan.
Alan
2009-01-16 16:01:05 UTC
Duh, it's not my day, is it? Yep they're running as LocalSystem. It's
hard to forget Ex5.5.

Thanks for your help Andy.

Post by Andy David {MVP}
Post by Alan
Hello,
I'm decommissioning our first/only E2K server and the last mailbox to
move to E2K3 belongs to the Exchange service account.
Paranoid question: is it safe to move that mailbox to another server?
AFAIK we only used the mailbox to install the Outlook Security
Settings public folder. We moved it from Ex5.5 to E2K years ago.
THere is no Exchange Service account in Exchange 200x. So if this some
mailbox from the 5.5 days, you can move it.
Post by Alan
Thanks,
- Alan.
adom503
2013-06-18 16:36:48 UTC
Post by Alan
Hello,
I'm decommissioning our first/only E2K server and the last mailbox to
move to E2K3 belongs to the Exchange service account.
Paranoid question: is it safe to move that mailbox to another server?
AFAIK we only used the mailbox to install the Outlook Security
Settings public folder. We moved it from Ex5.5 to E2K years ago.
Thanks,
- Alan.
Call an automated program to safely move exchange server mailboxes into another
server without skipping any information. The product supports moving of
mailboxes over exchange 2003, 2007, 2010. The process carries out in 2 steps:

1) Export exchange mailboxes to pst
2) Import PST into Any Exchange Server

http://www.edb-pst.net/move-exchange-mailbox-to-another-server.html