Recovering OST files
Brian K Yen
2004-02-23 13:36:41 UTC
Hi,

We are currently trying to restore a mailbox in an
offline file (ost format). The Exchange server was
crashed and we were not able to backup the data, nor set
up a recovery server. As an alternative, we have set up a
new server on a different organisation/site name. The
Exchange profile on the computer was changed to reflect
the new server (same username) - this was possibly the
bad move as, once done, it did not allow us to open the
ost file again.

The problem we are having is when we try to open the
previous ost file and are getting the error that the file
cannot be opened as the mailbox details are different.

From http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-
us;282496&Product=ech (KB ref 282496), it seems that we
can recover the profile key and access the ost file.
Please advise:

1. whether the profile key on the PC is deleted if the
Exchange profile has been updated with the new server
details

2. in case the profile key is still available in the
registry, is it possible to adjust the registry value in
the profile key (to reflect the new server details) and
open the ost file?

3. any other method we can do to restore the ost file?

Should you need any additional info, please do not
hesitate to contact me. Many thanks for your assistance.

Kind regards,

Brian K Yen
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
2004-02-23 14:14:27 UTC
Hi -if you have an 'orphaned' OST file I believe your only choice is
www.exchangerecovery.com - if you'd opened the old mail profile without
modifying it, while disconnected from the network, you could have worked
offline and exported to a PST file, but as you've tried to connect it to
another mailbox, you'll need the third party utility.
From http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-
Brian K Yen
s***@gmail.com
2016-05-30 10:08:21 UTC
Deeply scan OST file and save OST as PST. With the assist of this tool you can fastly remove all flaws from Offline OST file and nicely repair whole OST database. Through this tool you can transfer OST to PST, EML, MSG and HTML formats.See full details at- http://www.pcrecoveryutility.com/ost-recovery-tool.html