Exchange 2003 outgoing mail stuck in queue
akumudzi
2008-03-19 21:34:39 UTC
I'm running Exchange 2003 SP2 on server that also hosts my DNS.
Since yesterday all outgoing mail is stuck in the queue.

Under application events, I get:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MSExchangeTransport
Event Category: Connection Manager
Event ID: 4007
Date: 3/19/2008
Time: 11:09:05 PM
User: N/A
Computer: MYSERVER
Message delivery to the host '217.15.120.17' failed while delivering
to the remote domain 'ecoweb.co.zw' for the following reason: The
connection was dropped due to an SMTP protocol event sink.
The SMTP verb which caused the error is 'mail from=*'. The response
from the remote server is ''.

This is happening for all domains users try to send to.
Another thread in this forum recommended inserting our ISP DNS servers/
resolvers as external DNS in the Default SMTP Virtual Server. I did.
it didn't help.

I don't have any anti-virus on the server. Also, I unistalled GFI
MailEssentials the day before as it was causing other problems so no
anti-spam software on this server.
Checked DNS and seems ok. I ran DNSDiag.exe with: dnsdiag yahoo.com -d
-v 1 and the results I get show everything is ok; It exits with 0.

I can do nslookups for any domain successfully.

I have checked all over for this kind of behavior but the solutions
are not working:
http://forums.msexchange.org/m_180038400/tm.htm
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Email_Groupware/Exchange_Server/Q_21110083.html

About 3 hours ago I upgraded the Exchange from without-service-pack-at-
all to SP2 but the problem remains.

The server is running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition.

Please help
Bharat Suneja [MVP]
2008-03-19 22:27:34 UTC
Can you telnet to the remote server and send a test message?
Also contact the postmaster of the remote domain.
--
Bharat Suneja
MVP - Exchange
Please help
akumudzi
Date: 3/19/2008
Time: 11:09:05 PM
[...]
thanks Bharat

I tried telneting google from my network and it fails with the
following message:
telnet gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com 25
Connecting To gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com...Could not open connection
to the host, on port 25: Connect failed

I think this is where my problem is, how do I resolve this?
akumudzi
2008-03-20 11:46:51 UTC
update:
I ran Exchange Best Practices Analyser on this server and there are
the following error issues:

Sink registration not found: inboundsink
Transport event sink 'inboundsink' was found in the metabase
for SMTP instance '1' on server myserver.mydomainname.org but its
registration could not be found. Registration expected in:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\%SINKGUID%

Checking the ExchBPA recommendation on how to resolve this i got:

If the Exchange Server shows symptoms of mail flow problems
such as message queuing, reregister the transport event sinks.

To reregister the transport event sinks
From the Microsoft Exchange Server, open a command prompt
window and change to the \Program Files\Exchsrvr\Bin folder.

Type the following commands to re-register transport event
sinks:

regsvr32 /i exps.dll
regsvr32 /i miscat.dll
regsvr32 /i onsubmit.dll
regsvr32 /i peexch50.dll
regsvr32 /i phatcat.dll
regsvr32 /i protolog.dll
regsvr32 /i reapi.dll
regsvr32 /i regsinks.dll
regsvr32 /i tranmsg.dll
regsvr32 /i turflist.dll
regsvr32 /i xlsasink.dll
regsvr32 /i msgfilter.dll

I tried registering the sinks and it gave me an error for all the
sinks, e.g.:

"exps.dll was loaded, but the DllInstall entry point was not
found. The file cannot be registered"

My problems remain, please help.
Craig
2008-03-20 12:29:18 UTC
In article
<f02b05a5-37ac-48ab-b9dd-***@m34g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>akum
udzi <***@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi There,

Can you not just create another vitual smtp and use this until you fix
the current problem?Thats what I do when I have had problems in the
past
Post by akumudzi
I ran Exchange Best Practices Analyser on this server and there
Sink registration not found: inboundsink
Transport event sink 'inboundsink' was found in the metabase
for SMTP instance '1' on server myserver.mydomainname.org but
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\%SINKGUID%
If the Exchange Server shows symptoms of mail flow
problemssuch as message queuing, reregister the transport event sinks.
To reregister the transport event sinks
From the Microsoft Exchange Server, open a command
promptwindow and change to the \Program Files\Exchsrvr\Bin folder.
Date: 3/19/2008
Time: 11:09:05 PM
Post by Bharat Suneja [MVP]
Post by akumudzi
The server is running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition.
Please help
thanks Bharat
I tried telneting google from my network and it fails with the
telnet gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com 25
Connecting To gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com...Could not open
connection to the host, on port 25: Connect failed
I think this is where my problem is, how do I resolve this?
--
I'm trying a new usenet client for Mac, Nemo OS X.
You can download it at http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo
Jamestechman
2008-03-20 14:30:36 UTC
Some fundamental transport dlls got unregistered. This can happen for
example if you were to install\uninstall some third party apps such as
SPAM\AV and got hosed during the process. Did you make any changes
recently. If this is an ongoing issue; your options are either to call
Microsoft Support or re-service pack your Exchange and re-apply all
updates.

James Chong (MVP)
MCITP | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+,
Security+, Project+, ITIL
msexchangetips.blogspot.com
Post by Craig
In article
Hi There,
Can you not just create another vitual smtp and use this until you fix
the current problem?Thats what I do when I have had problems in the
past
 I ran Exchange Best Practices Analyser on this server and there
         Sink registration not found: inboundsink
         Transport event sink 'inboundsink' was found in the metabase
for SMTP instance '1' on server myserver.mydomainname.org but
         HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\%SINKGUID%
         If the Exchange Server shows symptoms of mail flow
problemssuch as message queuing, reregister the transport event sinks.
         To reregister the transport event sinks
         From the Microsoft Exchange Server, open a command
promptwindow and change to the \Program Files\Exchsrvr\Bin folder.
         Type the following commands to re-register transport event
         regsvr32 /i exps.dll
         regsvr32 /i miscat.dll
         regsvr32 /i onsubmit.dll
         regsvr32 /i peexch50.dll
         regsvr32 /i phatcat.dll
         regsvr32 /i protolog.dll
         regsvr32 /i reapi.dll
         regsvr32 /i regsinks.dll
         regsvr32 /i tranmsg.dll
         regsvr32 /i turflist.dll
         regsvr32 /i xlsasink.dll
         regsvr32 /i msgfilter.dll
 I tried registering the sinks and it gave me an error for all
         "exps.dll was loaded, but the DllInstall entry point was
notfound. The file cannot be registered"
 My problems remain, please help.
  > Can you telnet to the remote server and send a test message?
  > Also contact the postmaster of the remote domain.
  > --
  > Bharat Suneja
  > MVP - Exchangewww.zenprise.com
  > exchangepedia.com/blog
  > ----------------------------
 om...
You can download it athttp://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo- Hide quoted text -
akumudzi
2008-03-20 18:01:39 UTC
You're absolutely correct. I uninstalled GFI MailEssentials 12 the day
before this started. Only I never thought that this problem could be
connected to that. I tried re-Service Packing it and it didn't help.
As a last resort I installed GFI MailEssentials back and mail started
moving out.
I'm surprised though. I guess everything everywhere is linked :-)

I had unsintalled MaillEssentials because it was randomly crashing
restarting inetinfo.exe and IISAdmin, SMTP, and the Exch Routing
Engine:
http://kbase.gfi.com/showarticle.asp?id=KBID002168
http://www.ureader.com/message/1291597.aspx
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=827214

Turns out uninstalling it was a big mistake that almost cost me an
easter holiday. I hope GFI will sort this out to allow for a clean
uninstall of MailEssentials.

Thanks for the assistance guys.
Post by akumudzi
I ran Exchange Best Practices Analyser on this server and there
Sink registration not found: inboundsink
Transport event sink 'inboundsink' was found in the metabase
for SMTP instance '1' on server myserver.mydomainname.org but
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\%SINKGUID%
If the Exchange Server shows symptoms of mail flow
problemssuch as message queuing, reregister the transport event sinks.
To reregister the transport event sinks
From the Microsoft Exchange Server, open a command
akumudzi

Bharat Suneja [MVP]
2008-03-20 17:39:08 UTC
Reinstall Exchange. Make sure you have a full backup before you do.
Alternatively, try applying the latest service pack first.
--
Bharat Suneja
MVP - Exchange
Post by akumudzi
I ran Exchange Best Practices Analyser on this server and there
Sink registration not found: inboundsink
Transport event sink 'inboundsink' was found in the metabase
for SMTP instance '1' on server myserver.mydomainname.org but
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\%SINKGUID%
If the Exchange Server shows symptoms of mail flow
problemssuch as message queuing, reregister the transport event sinks.
To reregister the transport event sinks
From the Microsoft Exchange Server, open a command
Rene Frenger
2008-03-25 11:36:00 UTC
Please do the following steps:

- Deinstall IIS from the Control panel / Add & Remove Programs / Add &
Remove Windows Components.
- Go with the Explorer to c:\windows\system32\inetsrv.
- Search for metabase.xml and rename it (to metabase.old for example). The
settings of IIS are saved in metabase.bin and we don 't want them restored!
- Install IIS again (incl. smtp and nntp).
- Go to Controlpanel to Software and then to Microsoft Exchange. Select the
repair option. Exchange 2003 will be reinstalled (the database files are NOT
overwritten). When the setup asks if a file has to be overwritten, always
select YES.
- Now reinstall SP2 for Exchange and restart the server.
- Install the latest hotfixes for Exchange 2003 and restart the server.
- Everything should work now as before.
--
Regards,

Rene Frenger
MCITP E2K7
MCP EX5.5, 2000, 2003
MCSE
Post by akumudzi
I ran Exchange Best Practices Analyser on this server and there
Sink registration not found: inboundsink
Transport event sink 'inboundsink' was found in the metabase
for SMTP instance '1' on server myserver.mydomainname.org but
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\%SINKGUID%
If the Exchange Server shows symptoms of mail flow
problemssuch as message queuing, reregister the transport event sinks.
To reregister the transport event sinks
From the Microsoft Exchange Server, open a command
Ruud van Gaal
2008-07-25 13:38:53 UTC
I had the same problem here; turns out that the DNS entries that I had for my network interface card had for example:
192.168.0.254
194.xx.yy.zz

but the ones from the 'Default SMTP Virtual Server' did not have the first entry as wel. I added that to match my NIC's DNS entries and now it's slowly starting to send out messages again.

Why a DNS list somewhere deep, deep inside a dialog is necessary is beyond me, really really weird & frustrating design. Cost me around 6 hours. :(
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]
2008-07-25 23:57:39 UTC
Post by Ruud van Gaal
I had the same problem here;
As what? You've posted this as a new message, not a reply in an existing
thread, and haven't quoted the original message, so it's unlikely for anyone
to know what you're talking about, unfortunately.
Post by Ruud van Gaal
turns out that the DNS entries that I
had for my network interface card had for example: 192.168.0.254
194.xx.yy.zz
but the ones from the 'Default SMTP Virtual Server' did not have the
first entry as wel. I added that to match my NIC's DNS entries and
now it's slowly starting to send out messages again.
It shouldn't need you to manually enter that.... but without more background
info it's hard to say what's what.
hours. :(
lenny76
Date: 3/19/200
Time: 11:09:05 P
User: N/
Computer: MYSERVE
Description
Post by akumudzi
About 3 hours ago I upgraded the Exchange from without-service-pack-at
all to SP2 but the problem remains
The server is running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition
Please hel
I have the same problem, the only way for not spend much time, was reinstal
GFIMailessentials and the problem solve. I have uninstalled Mailessential
because the pop3 server comes to slow. For now pop3 work normal

Reinstall exchange 2003 and apply sp2 and patches take a much time that
don&rsquo;t have.
m***@gmail.com
2013-06-04 22:31:15 UTC
Hello all,
I am a MS Support Professional - Technical consultant
This is a most common issue we deal with at ms support.
Whenever we try to uninstall third-party mail filtering product there are some event sinks which are hooked up with smtp virtual server which needs to be manually removed using two tools :-
1. Metabase checker :- on the third party event sink page copy info into a notepad file.(tool used to copy the alphanumeric event sink)
2. Metaedit :- be careful while using this tool and remove only third party non exchange event sink copied into notepad.
You can get these tools on internet if unable to find it let me know i will upload it.
Thanks & regards
MIBXCON