Eseutil exchange error -1019
Sam Wishka
2008-08-15 13:14:02 UTC
I am having some major issues with my Exchange 2000 SP4 database. Basically
my ofline Defrags are getting this error:

Operation terminated with error -1019 (JET_errPageNotInitialized, Blank
database page) after 31.78 seconds.

I am at a point where I believe I have two options. Restore from backup
which is not an option because these errors have been happening for a long
period of time or run the Eseutil /p.

Does anyone have any ideas? Has anyone ran the Eseutil /p and come out OK?
Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam
Oliver Moazzezi [MVP]
2008-08-15 14:24:50 UTC
Hi Sam,

Are you in a position to move mailboxes?

Oliver
Sam Wishka
2008-08-15 14:38:02 UTC
Post by Oliver Moazzezi [MVP]
Hi Sam,
Are you in a position to move mailboxes?
Oliver
Hi Oliver,
No i am runing a defragmation, because my mailbox capacity is full .
thanks,
Sam
Sam Wishka
2008-08-15 14:42:00 UTC
Post by Sam Wishka
Post by Oliver Moazzezi [MVP]
Hi Sam,
Are you in a position to move mailboxes?
Oliver
Hi Oliver,
No i am runing a defragmation, because my mailbox Storage capacity is full (16gb).
thanks,
Sam
Oliver Moazzezi [MVP]
2008-08-15 15:26:31 UTC
If you doubt the integrity of your backup/s, then /p / isinteg is really
your only option.

However after these tasks I would recommend moving mailboxes to a new clean
or existing proven store - something which you cannot do.

How many users is on this Exchange Server? Are you running Exchange
Enterprise Edtion and have the option of creating a new store?

Oliver
Tom Wall
2008-08-16 12:05:00 UTC
Oliver, I am having a similar problem. However, I am running Exchange 2003
Standard. I hit my mailstore limit a couple of times over a 6 month period.
Each time, I increased the mailstore size with a regedit. (an option offered
in 2003 after a certain SP, but not in 2000). However, over time odd things
have begun to occur; multiple messages received when only one was
sent(internal and external), .OST files which throw errors stating the OST
file has reached is maximum number of connections, and messages which get
stuck in queues and are only released and delivered when a reboot occurs.

I have found this article which outlines Exchange DB repair if the mailstore
will not start. My starts but has sporatic problems. I was planning on
performing the three steps listed in this article. However, I am running
2003 Standard, so like Sam, the original poster, I do not have the ability to
create a new mailstore. Any suggestions?
http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2004/06/18/159413.aspx
... the basics of Exchange database repair:
You run Eseutil /P first.
Then you run Eseutil /D.
Then run Isinteg -fix -test alltests.

Keith
Oliver
Andy David {MVP}
2008-08-16 22:02:47 UTC
On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 05:05:00 -0700, Tom Wall
Post by Tom Wall
Oliver, I am having a similar problem. However, I am running Exchange 2003
Standard. I hit my mailstore limit a couple of times over a 6 month period.
Each time, I increased the mailstore size with a regedit. (an option offered
in 2003 after a certain SP, but not in 2000).
Actually in 2000, you can raise the limit to 17GB.
Post by Tom Wall
However, over time odd things
have begun to occur; multiple messages received when only one was
sent(internal and external), .OST files which throw errors stating the OST
file has reached is maximum number of connections, and messages which get
stuck in queues and are only released and delivered when a reboot occurs.
Any errors in the event logs on the server? Those issues do not sound
like something that will necessarily be solved by a repair.
Post by Tom Wall
I have found this article which outlines Exchange DB repair if the mailstore
will not start. My starts but has sporatic problems. I was planning on
performing the three steps listed in this article. However, I am running
2003 Standard, so like Sam, the original poster, I do not have the ability to
create a new mailstore. Any suggestions?
http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2004/06/18/159413.aspx
You run Eseutil /P first.
Then you run Eseutil /D.
Then run Isinteg -fix -test alltests.
What other troubleshooting have you done? eseutil/p is a last resort,
no other option step.
Post by Tom Wall
Keith
Oliver
Andy David {MVP}
2008-08-16 21:54:07 UTC
On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 07:42:00 -0700, Sam Wishka
Post by Sam Wishka
Post by Oliver Moazzezi [MVP]
Hi Sam,
Are you in a position to move mailboxes?
Oliver
Hi Oliver,
No i am runing a defragmation, because my mailbox Storage capacity is full (16gb).
Thats not going to solve your 1019 errors.
Eseutil wont solve them either.

It may temporarily appear to fix it, but these type of errors are
usally hardware/fireware related and will return.

Since you dont have a good backup and cant get a good one, the last
thing you want to do at this point is run eseutil or any utils against
the store.

Bring up another mailbox server. move mailboxes and public folders.
Verify you have the latest drivers and firmware on the orginal server
and move everything back. ( Oh and run a backup on the swing server
after moving mailboxes).
Post by Sam Wishka
thanks,
Sam
Dgoldman [MSFT]
2008-08-17 13:56:59 UTC
A -1019 error (JET_errPageNotInitialized) is reported when a page that is
expected to be in use is uninitialized or empty. If the page number field on
a page in use is 0x00000000, a -1019 error is reported instead of a -1018
error, even though the page might also fail its checksum test. Offline
defrag's will in most cases and most of the time remove these pages from the
database.

These are errors however they are not -1018;s which in that case you would
need to repair your database with "eseutil /p". Now I will agree that these
are can be caused by hardware (bad controller, disks, etc), however they are
repairable.

If you find a -1018 or -1019 error in your application log you really need
to know at least three things:

. What was on the damaged page
. What the likelihood of successful repair is
. What caused the damage in the first place

-1018 and -1019 errors might occur at the command line when you start the
service, in the Application event log, or in the output of Exchange
utilities such as Eseutil. A -1018 error in the Application event log might
not be reported when you run a database integrity check with the Eseutil /G
command. In this situation, it is likely that the bad page is empty.
Dgoldman [MSFT]: http://blogs.msdn.com/dgoldman
Download OABInteg: http://code.msdn.com/oabinteg
Post by Sam Wishka
Post by Oliver Moazzezi [MVP]
Hi Sam,
Are you in a position to move mailboxes?
Oliver
Hi Oliver,
No i am runing a defragmation, because my mailbox Storage capacity is full (16gb).
Thats not going to solve your 1019 errors.
Eseutil wont solve them either.
It may temporarily appear to fix it, but these type of errors are
usally hardware/fireware related and will return.
Since you dont have a good backup and cant get a good one, the last
thing you want to do at this point is run eseutil or any utils against
the store.
Bring up another mailbox server. move mailboxes and public folders.
Verify you have the latest drivers and firmware on the orginal server
and move everything back. ( Oh and run a backup on the swing server
after moving mailboxes).
Post by Sam Wishka
thanks,
Sam
Andy David {MVP}
2008-08-17 14:35:04 UTC
Post by Dgoldman [MSFT]
[...]
Yea, but without a decent online backup, I would rather move mailboxes
:) (Even with taking an offline backup of what hes got ) - but your
point is well taken.

From what I've seen and unfortunately suffered through a few times,,
1018/1019 errors return even after restoring from backup at some point
and typically because the storage subsystem isnt up to the task for
whatever reason.
Dgoldman [MSFT]
whatever reason.
m***@gmail.com
2013-12-17 18:03:12 UTC
Hi Dgoldman,

I am getting this error on Exchange 2007. I am trying to do a restore, In case I fail with a resttore. I guess I am left with eseutil /p and a defreagmentation as well as an ISINTEG. How long can this take for a 258 GB disk?

I read somewhere that it takes 3GB per hr, this ould have to run for days.

Regards,
Paul.