OWA virtual directory problem
Matthieu
2008-03-17 21:28:51 UTC
Hi everyone,

I recently tryed to connect to my OWA virtual directory without success, and
don't find a solution to my problem.
I think the problem occured after installation of updates from WSUS but i'm
not sure.

When i restart my server everything seem to work fine, but when i try to
connect to my OWA Virtual directory, i've the following message :

Outlook Web Access did not initialize. An event has been logged so that
the system administrator can resolve the issue. Please contact technical
support for your organization.
Unable to create Internet Information Services (IIS) directory entry.
Error message is: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80005008. HResult = -2147463160.

and i've the following event in eventviewer :

Event Type: Error / Event Source: MSExchange OWA / Event Category:
ADNotifications / Event ID: 65 / Date: 3/16/2008 / Time: 6:38:45 PM /
User: N/A / Computer:
An error occurred while the Outlook Web Access configuration settings were
being loaded. Virtual directory: "owa". Web site: "Default Web Site".
Error message:
"Unable to create Internet Information Services (IIS) directory entry.
Error message is: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80005008. HResult
= -2147463160."

I tryed to solve the problem by removing the OWA virtual directory and
adding it again
but it doesn't work, i've an error message undocumented :

[PS] C:\Documents and Settings\administrateur>Remove-OwaVirtualDirectory

cmdlet Remove-OwaVirtualDirectory at command pipeline position 1
Supply values for the following parameters:
Identity: #MYSERVER#\owa (Default Web Site)

Confirm
Are you sure you want to perform this action?
The Remove-OwaVirtualDirectory cmdlet is removing Outlook Web Access virtual
directory "#MYSERVER#\owa (Default Web Site)".
[Y] Yes [A] Yes to All [N] No [L] No to All [S] Suspend [?] Help
(default is "Y"):
Remove-OwaVirtualDirectory : Deleting virtual directory
'IIS://#MYSERVER#.myorg.net/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa' on '#MYSERVER#' failed.
At line:1 char:26
+ Remove-OwaVirtualDirectory <<<<

Does anyone have a solution, i don't have any idea how to solve this problem
:(.

Matthieu
Ed Crowley [MVP]
2008-03-17 22:45:25 UTC
Have you tried reinstalling Exchange?
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange
Matthieu
Matthieu
2008-03-18 21:57:18 UTC
The problem is on the central exchange server of my company and i can't
uninstall it.
I launched Exchange Setup but didn't founded option "reinstall" or "repair"
:(.

Do you have another solution ?

Should i remove everything about OWA in IIS manually ? but what about the
registry in this case ?

Matthieu
Matthieu
Ed Crowley [MVP]
2008-03-18 23:41:02 UTC
Don't do anything manually in IIS; you've already done enough.

I didn't mean to uninstall it; I meant just install Exchange again to repair
your previous installation.

You might also try running the Exchange Best Practices Analyzer first to see
if it finds anything configured wrong.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange
Matthieu
Matthieu
2008-03-19 16:35:58 UTC
Yes, but the problem is with Exchange 2007 and you don't have "reinstall"
option. You can just check or uncheck functionalities.

When i launch exchange management console, i've three errors message :

Microsoft Exchange Error
The following error(s) were reported while loading topology information:

Get-ActiveSyncVirtualDirectory
Failed
Error:
Unable to create Internet Information Services (IIS) directory entry. Error
message is: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80005008. HResult = -2147463160.

Exception from HRESULT: 0x80005008

Get-OabVirtualDirectory
Failed
Error:
Unable to create Internet Information Services (IIS) directory entry. Error
message is: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80005008. HResult = -2147463160.

Exception from HRESULT: 0x80005008

Get-OWAVirtualDirectory
Failed
Error:
Unable to create Internet Information Services (IIS) directory entry. Error
message is: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80005008. HResult = -2147463160.

Exception from HRESULT: 0x80005008

Does it help you ?

Matthieu
Matthieu
Ed Crowley [MVP]
2008-03-19 18:43:05 UTC
Sorry, but I didn't see any reference to Exchange 2007 in any of your posts.

During off-hours you might consider removing the Client Access role and
reinstalling it.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange
Matthieu
Matthieu
2008-03-19 23:11:04 UTC
Hi Ed,

I tryed to uninstall CA, but the uninstall failed (i joined the result in
the bottom)...
I had a look everywhere but didn't founded solution to my problem :(.

F:\logiciels\CDs d'installation serveur\Exchange Server 2007>exsetup.exe
/mode:uninstall /roles:ca

Welcome to Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Unattended Setup
The following server roles will be removed
Client Access Role

Performing Microsoft Exchange Server Prerequisite Check

Client Access Role Checks ......................... COMPLETED

Configuring Microsoft Exchange Server

Client Access server role ......................... FAILED
Unable to create Internet Information Services (IIS) directory entry.
Error
message is: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80005008. HResult = -2147463160.

The Exchange Server Setup operation did not complete. For more information,
visit http://support.microsoft.com and enter the Error ID.

Matthieu
Matthieu
2008-03-20 00:42:07 UTC
Hi Ed,

At the end, i founded the solution....

I tryed to uninstall two time client access, and uninstalled and reinstalled
IIS from windows components (without rebooting)
and after that, reinstalled exchance CA.

I've rebooted and eveything seem working :).

Thank a lot for your help.

Matthiu
Matthieu
Ed Crowley [MVP]
2008-03-20 04:23:08 UTC
Glad you're working and happy to have helped.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange
Matthieu
Jeremie Doyle
2008-08-12 16:50:13 UTC
Try disabling UAC in Windows Server 2008 to see if this is just caused by a security confusion with the new features in 2008. In Control Panel, User Accounts, toggle User Account Control on/off. A restart is required.
hari prakassh
2008-07-31 08:12:49 UTC
Outlook Web Access did not initialize. An event has been logged so that the

system administrator can resolve the issue. Please contact technical support for

your organization.

any body in exchange server with owa

pls help me
Holger Jatsch
2008-07-31 09:02:46 UTC
Post by hari prakassh
Outlook Web Access did not initialize. An event has been logged so that the
system administrator can resolve the issue. Please contact technical support for
your organization.
Hari,

have you changed anything within the IIS config? Have you
removed/renamed any of the virtual directories needed by Exchange?
If yes, you could try to recreate the default virtual directories or
restore the IIS metabase configuration settings from backup.

Have you had a look at these links already?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930864/en-us
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/transform.aspx?ProdName=Exchange&ProdVer=8.0&EvtID=64&EvtSrc=MSExchange%20OWA&LCID=1033

Kind regards
Holger
h***@gmail.com
2014-05-16 11:55:03 UTC
Post by Matthieu
[...]
This can be fixed by changing permissions to allow anonymous read permission.
You need to change permissions on the following OWA folders:

8.1.240.5
8.3.83.4
8.3.279.5
8.3.342.1