"The backup file contains unrecognized data and cannot be used"
Jarryd
2008-02-26 15:10:16 UTC
Hi,

I have an Exchange Server 2003 SE server. I backup the Exchange Server to a
bkf file on a mapped network drive. I then backup that file up to tape.
If I restore from the copy on the mapped drive before it goes to tape, I
have no problem (I actually copy it from the mapped drive to the local disk
and run the restore from there.) But if I restore the .bkf file from the
tape to the local disk and then run the restore I get this error messgae:

The backup file contains unrecognized data and cannot be used

Please someone tell me what might have gone wrong here. This basically
means that I have no backup for my email server. I am using NT Backup, like
the MS Press books teach you to do. Surely these backup files (.bkf) can be
sent to tape and restored to disk and then restored to the Exchange server?

TIA,

Jarryd
Susan
Jarryd
Jamestechman
2008-02-26 16:50:35 UTC
On the restored bkf file from tape, take a look at the permissions to
see if it was changed. Also try granting yourself ownership rights of
the file and try to restore.

James Chong (MVP)
MCITP | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+, Security+
msexchangetips.blogspot.com
Jarryd
Jarryd
2008-02-27 16:36:21 UTC
Hi,

I am doing an online backup. The copy of the file that is made to the
mapped drive can be restored no problem. The copy that has been been backed
up to tape and then restored to disk is the problem. So it is not the type
of Exchange backup that is causing the problem, it is something that happens
to the bkf file when it is copied up to the tape drive and then back to the
disk. There are no errors, however, that indicate a fault with the bkf file
being backed up.

I cannot catalog the bkf file restored from tape to disk. I have taken
ownership of the disk, and even added the Backup Operators and granted them
full control to the file. The file is owned by the local administrator of
the server that the physical drive resides in (the Exchange backup is dumped
to a mapped drive on SRVR1, so the original owner is SRVR1\Administrator).
When it is restored to the Exchange server which is also a DC it set the
Administrators group for the domain as the owners. This is the only
difference I can see.

Please help! This is crazy!

TIA,

Jarryd

Jarryd
m***@gmail.com
2008-03-08 11:10:23 UTC
Hi,
I have an Exchange Server 2003 SE server. I backup the Exchange Server to abkf file on a mapped network drive. I then backup that file up to tape.
If I restore from the copy on the mapped drive before it goes to tape, I
have no problem (I actually copy it from the mapped drive to the local disk
and run the restore from there.) But if I restore the .bkffile from the
The backup file contains unrecognized data and cannot be used
Please someone tell me what might have gone wrong here. This basically
means that I have no backup for my email server. I am using NT Backup, like
the MS Press books teach you to do. Surely these backup files (.bkf) can be
sent to tape and restored to disk and then restored to the Exchange server?
TIA,
Jarryd
Hi,

You can try a popular BKF file recovery tool called Advanced BKF
Repair to repair your BKF file. It is a powerful tool to repair
corrupt or damaged BKF files.

Detailed information about Advanced BKF Repair can be found at
http://www.datanumen.com/abr/

And you can also download a free demo version at http://www.datanumen.com/abr/abr.exe

Alan
Jarryd

Alan
c***@gmail.com
2013-07-09 23:18:02 UTC
Post by Jarryd
Hi,
I have an Exchange Server 2003 SE server. I backup the Exchange Server to a
bkf file on a mapped network drive. I then backup that file up to tape.
If I restore from the copy on the mapped drive before it goes to tape, I
have no problem (I actually copy it from the mapped drive to the local disk
and run the restore from there.) But if I restore the .bkf file from the
The backup file contains unrecognized data and cannot be used
Please someone tell me what might have gone wrong here. This basically
means that I have no backup for my email server. I am using NT Backup, like
the MS Press books teach you to do. Surely these backup files (.bkf) can be
sent to tape and restored to disk and then restored to the Exchange server?
TIA,
Jarryd
Jarryd, were you able to use the Advanced BKF tool and recover your exchange store? I followed the same route and noticed that it broke the backup file down into 10 seperate files, each named the word "file" (no extension) and one massive "file" that drilled down from folders coming from the Microsoft Information store. I presume this "file" is the "priv1.edb" file itself? What did you end up doing to recover your backup?

Chris