Embedded e-mails in Outook get converted from .MSG to .EML
2010-01-15 14:27:16 UTC
Hello:

Exchange Server 2003 SP2, Outlook 2003 SP3

I've put a call into MS and they haven't come up with a solution yet.

Here's the situation:

User sends attached/embedded e-mail (.MSG attachment) outside the company.
It doesn't matter if the new message is plain text, HTML, or rich text.
Before the message hits our e-mail gateway appliance, it gets converted to a
.EML file. Our gateway blocks .EML files, so the message never makes it out.

Now this is the odd thing: I have the same issue when I test this--I use the
same exact version of Outlook and Word (2003 SP3) from Citrix and from a
test server. All the embedded e-mails I sent from Citrix were converted to
.EML, but from the test server, they kept the .MSG format and hence were
delivered outside to Gmail. In both places, Outlook used Word as the editor.

Here are some things I've checked and tested:
1.) In ESM --> Internet Message Formats we only have the Default * entry. It
has Exchange-rich text format set to "determined by individual user
settings." I don't this this has anything to do with the issue, but it was
worth checking.
2.) I toggled Word as the e-mail editor on and off from Citrix and that
didn't help.

I'm trying to find out what could be causing the converstion of the .MSG
file to .EML. It seems like it's being done in Outlook. Right now I'm
checking with MS support to see if it could be an issue with encoding
format.

Thank you.
--
Regards,
MCTS, MCSA
Peter Durkee

MCTS, MCSA
2010-01-15 18:56:36 UTC
No, we use Symantec for Exchange. The MS tech suggested to stop Symantec,
but that's not something we can do without going through change control,
etc. From my testing so far, everything is pointing to the Outlook client.
--
Regards,
MCTS, MCSA
MCTS, MCSA
2010-01-31 00:35:23 UTC
I found the cause. I'm still writing up my findings. Let me know if you're
interested in me posting it. Basically, you want to force Rich Text/TNEF.
See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290809. Below is an excerpt from it.

Follow these steps to send in TNEF:
1.. Open the recipient's record in the Contacts folder.
2.. Double-click the recipient's e-mail address.
3.. Click Send Using Outlook Rich Text Format in the Internet Format box.
--
Regards,
MCTS, MCSA
MCTS, MCSA
a***@gmail.com
2018-01-13 12:42:36 UTC
Carefully transfer MSG file database in EML format through MSG to EML software. This is the best solution enables to export data from MSG file to EML file in seconds. It works for MSG file conversion into EML format against any data loss.Read more information visit here :- http://www.osttopstapp.com/msg-to-eml.html